We need to get oxygen from the air into the blood, and we need to remove wastefrom the blood into the air. Moving gases like this is called gas exchange. The alveoli are adapted to make gas exchange in lungs happen easily and efficiently.
Here are some features of the alveoli that allow this:
- they give the lungs a really big
- they have moist, thin walls (just one cell thick)
- they have a lot of tinycalled capillaries.
The gases move by diffusion from where they have ato where they have a low concentration:
- Oxygen diffuses from the air in the alveoli into the blood.
- Carbon dioxide diffuses from the blood into the air in the alveoli